Questions about building 4.2.0 (imake and xmakefiles)

Mike A. Harris mharris at www.linux.org.uk
Wed Mar 2 02:00:52 PST 2005

james osburn wrote:

> Questions about building 4.2.0
> First of all I don't have a choice about using something other than X
> 4.2.0 at this time.
>
> 1. How does imake work or how are the xmakefiles built?
> Are they xmakefiles built using imake?

"How does imake work" is a rather vague question, of which the
answer could fill several hours worth of typing.  Having said
that, both XFree86 and X.Org have documentation in their top
level directories that cover the basics of compiling and
installing the given release.  The xc/config/cf directory
contains the base buildsystem config files, as well as some
more documentation.

"imake" and "xmkmf" also have manpages which you may also find
useful.

This is general information not really specific to either X
implementation or particular version.

Hope this helps.