Xgl page - http://www.freedesktop.org/Software/Xgl

Benjamin Herrenschmidt benh at kernel.crashing.org
Tue Mar 1 13:30:45 PST 2005

On Tue, 2005-03-01 at 11:31 -0500, Adam Jackson wrote:

> Mesa would implement this through some common modeset library that throws
> requests at the kernel for sane OSes or handles them in userspace for
> braindead ones.  nVidia would handle them however they want inside their
> magic binary blob.
>
> The point is that this is useful functionality for more than just X on GL, and
> that defining it as an extension to an accepted standard (EGL) _greatly_
> increases the chances that closed driver vendors will support it.  It is not
> "yet another" API because that would imply that this functionality already
> exists in some well-supported configuration and that we're just ignoring it.

Well, we need then to have this "encapsulated" in EGL API be basically
the same as what we want to provide in the "sane os" library that
interface to the kernel, which we haven't defined yet (though I started
hacking on that a while ago, I didn't have time to do much), or we would
have a significant loss in functionaility.

We need to be able to query available outputs, supported mode lists,
dealing with the geometry of available displays, etc, etc, etc...

Ben.