Xgl page - http://www.freedesktop.org/Software/Xgl

David Reveman davidr at novell.com
Tue Mar 1 09:12:12 PST 2005

On Mon, 2005-02-28 at 20:45 -0600, Douglas McMorris wrote:
> This is not all that important, I'm just curious about the compmgr
> hacks... I compiled and ran it, but didn't notice a big difference other
> than with xgl its insanely fast(thanks to fglrx) compared to my previous
> option which was the radeon driver on my rv350 chipset... What different
> hacks have you added?  And is there anything special I need to do to
> use/see them?

Transformed server-side shadows relative to a light source with optional
convolution filters. This stuff is pretty easy to get working, just pass
the right switches to xcompmgr. You can also run the 'lightsource'
program to move the light source around. try 'xcompmgr -s -z'.

The other hacks are a bit harder to get working as they require window
manager integration. If you get the special version of waimea wm that is
available from the same location as the hacks and replace the default
config file for button mappings with the one in the xcompmgr-davidr
package. e.g.
cp xcompmgr-davidr/waimea-button-mappings.conf /usr/share/waimea/actions/button-mappings.conf

And if you're lucky the following might work:

Alt-Button1 - Weird fake desktop switch thing.
Alt-Button2 - 2x Zoom magnifier thing.
Shift-Alt-Button2 - 4x Zoom magnifier thing.
Alt-Button3 - Lame "Expose"-like thing.

btw, start waimea with '-a' switch to make it use argb visuals for top-level windows.