New acceleration architecture

Zack Rusin zrusin at trolltech.com
Thu Jun 30 23:55:45 PDT 2005

On Tuesday 28 June 2005 23:28, you wrote:
> One example is that there is no direct support for rendering
> trapezoids, which is going to be important for cairo.

The reason that code is not in is because "rasterizetrapazoids" hook turned
out to be basically useless in kaa and I wasn't sure how to neatly implement
AddTraps in hardware. As soon as anyone will step up and say "hey this is how
I implemented AddTraps for card X" I'll gladly add a hook for it in Exa. Now
with version macros
#if EXA_IS_VERSION(0,2,0)
   pChipX->exa.accel.AddTraps = ChipXAddTraps;
#endif
it should be fine.

> Another is that
> I think the memory management API may expose too much detail of where
> stuff ends up. I think another level of indirection (a
> commit/uncommit_memory()) may be useful to allow the memory manager to
> move stuff around behind the driver's back.

Actually right now the memory manager exposes only two methods:
exaOffscreenAlloc and exaOffscreenFree, everything else is done behind the
scenes.

Zack