Recovering Disconnected X Applications

Adrien Guillon guila at dainty.ca
Fri Jun 10 12:35:13 PDT 2005

    Hello All,

    Sometimes I am in a position where it would be nice to recover
applications which have been disconnected from the display. Let me explain:

    Imagine users connected through XDMCP to a GDM session. Their local
X terminal crashes. Somehow, some applications may still running on the
server. For instance, an openoffice application.  When the user is
disconnected, I can still see (sometimes) their running applications. It
would be very nice if I could do something like 'fg PID' to bring it
forward to the new X session, and recover whatever they were working on.
The DISPLAY number hasn't change, and it almost seems if I could sent a
refresh signal I would recover the application (once the X terminal is
back to life).

    Is it possible to recover such applications, or are they really
dead, but still lingering? Is there any way to write such a utility, or
does the X protocol by its nature forbid this type of recovery?

    Thanks,

    AJ Guillon