Newbie question about PCI detection...

Luc Verhaegen libv at skynet.be
Wed Jul 27 19:41:38 PDT 2005

On Wed, Jul 27, 2005 at 06:28:48PM -0600, Philip Prindeville wrote:

> That's fine, I understand that.  But it seems that if the motherboard is
> absent in the list of PCIDs, then the card isn't detected (despite the fact
> that the driver should at least recognize the chipset generically).
>
> Doing *additional* initialization based on the card-instance is one thing.
> Failing to generically recognize the chipset and thereby detect the
> graphic subsystem strikes me as overly pessimistic.
>
> -Philip

There's an X_ERROR there, if that is what is troubling you. The same thing
was an X_WARNING for about a month in which i gathered a single pair of
pciids. At least with X_ERROR i get a report once in a while.

It is just a message. And this is just a CRT only motherboard and as such
reasonably straightforward. If the driver is not working for you, then it
is not related to this. Maybe opening a bugreport on bugs.freedesktop.org
should be the way forward.

If you are just reporting a new pci id, then thank you, i will include it
in the next unichrome release. The current selfappointed maintainer of the
Xorg via driver is Thomas Hellstrom (unichrome at shipmail.org). The message
that comes with the pciid X_ERROR is slightly more cryptic than it used to
be for, by now, obvious reasons.

My recent commit was only to ensure proper tribute to the original author
(me, the exact same person who broke things to begin with) and the
original reporter (Tom Huckstep) as that was lost in the bugreport.

Luc Verhaegen.