slides from my talk at DDC

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Wed Jul 27 18:40:05 PDT 2005

On Thu, 2005-07-28 at 09:00 +1000, Dave Airlie wrote:

> Some issues I don't mention that need thinking about are going to be
> how mode setting interacts with virtual screens, and
> merged-framebuffer type things... (i.e. you want to set two different
> modes on the CRTCs but only have a single framebuffer, the mode
> setting APIs I've looked at don't seem to cover this too well... but
> maybe they don't need to.

I think it's key to segregate the mode setting from mode getting APIs
and work first to standardize the getting pieces; we can build an X
server that knows nothing about setting a mode and worry about the
vageries of hardware interaction sometime later.

We can then define some simplistic setting APIs for the one-card
one-monitor one-user situation and expect those to be extended for other
situations.

-keith