[Xgl/Xegl] Input Devices

James Cloos cloos+pdx-xorg at jhcloos.com
Wed Jul 27 12:22:18 PDT 2005

>> Second, I think we should redo the mouse wheel support and get rid
>> of the horrible button mapping. We should have zaxis instead. That
>> I think would simplfy things for both users and programs which now
>> guess 4/5 buttons are wheel.

Are their any mice out there that actually have a z axis?  The reason
for that mapping command, of course, is that the mice provide a pair
of buttons with a "funny connector" rather than an actual z axis wheel.

So that mapping has to happen *somewhere*.

I beleive it should be xset(1x)able, and that apps should be looking
for buttons rather than an axis for scrolling.  The Z axis should be
left for 3d use.

Alternatively, new axes could be defined, such as the vertical scroll
axis, the horizontal scroll axis, etc.  In any case, on-the-fly per-
pointer mucking of what x event each button and each axis generates
is useful and should be a support target.

-JimC
--
James H. Cloos, Jr. <cloos at jhcloos.com>