Problems with DVI+LCD on IBM ThinkPad T42p (ATI Technologies Inc M10 NT [FireGL Mobility T2])

Martin Knoblauch spamtrap at knobisoft.de
Tue Jul 26 11:20:43 PDT 2005

--- Alex Deucher <alexdeucher at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 7/26/05, Martin Knoblauch <spamtrap at knobisoft.de> wrote:
> >

> > --- Michel Dänzer <michel at daenzer.net> wrote:

> LCD
> > > comes
> > >
> > > 'TDMS' is not a valid value for Option "MonitorLayout", so the
> driver
> > > probably does autodetection, and as Alex explained, it can only
> use
> > > either LVDS or TMDS at this point.
> > >

> >  Oops. I have to try the correct spelling. Thanks for pointing it
> out.

 Really embarassing mistake .... :-( Works as expected when spelled
correctly.

  [snip]

> The LVDS controller is not being configured correctly since you are
> forcing the monitortype  on crtc1 to TMDS which is used for DVI.
> you need:
> Option  "MonitorLayout" "TMDS, AUTO"
> when you are using the DVI port, and:
> Option  "MonitorLayout" "LVDS, AUTO"
> when you are using the laptop screen.

 OK, now that I have sorted out my spelling and removed the bogus
DesktopSetup option it looks like this:

LVDS,AUTO : works for laptop alone (docked and undocked)
TMDS,AUTO : works for DVI + Laptop (if docked, both show the same)
            also works for laptop alone (undocked).
            No grey-ramp anymore

 Of course, the greatest would be to have AUTO,AUTO work in all
situations :-) I am not to deep into this topic. Is it a principal
problem, or a bug?

 Again, sorry for the confusion created by my spelling mistakes.

Cheers
Martin