Problems with DVI+LCD on IBM ThinkPad T42p (ATI Technologies Inc M10 NT [FireGL Mobility T2])

Martin Knoblauch spamtrap at knobisoft.de
Tue Jul 26 05:53:27 PDT 2005

Hi,

 after wrestling with this configuration for some time, I give up and
ask. I have a ThinkPad T42p with a "Mini Dock" port extender and an IBM
L200p flatpanel.

 After some googling I am now able to boot the notebook and have the
L200p come up as the primary display via the DVI port at 1600x1200
pixels. Great so far. The problem comes when booting the notebook
undocked.

 The notebooks flatpanel comes up at the right resolution, but on the
right hand side I have a transparent vertical grey-ramp of about
300-350 pixels width. The ramp seems to be in the overlays only (doing
a xwd dump shows the no sign of the ramp).

 Any ideas? I am using xorg-6.8.2 as shipped by FC3 and the "radeon"
driver". The (I belive) relevant part of the xorg.conf is:

Section "Device"
        Identifier      "RADEON"
        Driver          "radeon"
        Option  "BusType"       "AGP"
#       Option  "MonitorLayout" "TDMS,AUTO"
        Option  "MonitorLayout" "TMDS,LVDS"
EndSection

 If I use the commented out MonitorLayout, the notebook LCD comes up
clean, but the DVI display stays dark.

 I also tried the proprietary "fglrx" driver, but that is not working
at all with the DVI display.

Cheers
Martin