Help - please help...

Paul Santa Maria paulsm1021 at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 25 17:45:47 PDT 2005

Hi -

With all due respect, it *is* possible - I just haven't succeeded in doing it
yet.

Here's the "big picture" of what I've tried so far:

  1. The PC has three ATI 9200SE video adapters; all connected to PCI
     slots (no AGP).

     One adapter can be standard VGA.  The other two must be S-Video (the
     actual monitors can be up to 300 feet away from the PC.  VGA signals
     won't carry, S-Video can).

     I'm porting from a legacy DOS system to SuSE Linux 9.2.

  2. The built-in SuSE Radeon drivers were able to auto-detect the Radeon's
     and display to each (as displays unix:0.0, unix:0.1 and unix:0.1).

     So far, so good.  But it only worked with VGA output - not to S-Video.

  3. I then tried the fglrx drivers from ATI's web page.

     These were succeswsfully able to display to either VGA or S-Video ...
     but they crashed.  I believe the fglrx binaries are a dead-end: I do
     not believe they can be made to work.

  4. I then looked at Gatos (http://gatos.sourceforge.net) ati.2 and
     tv_out drivers.

     Unfortunately, I couldn't figure out any way to use the Gatos patches
     without rebuilding the entire Xorg X windows distribution.  And I've
     failed so far to do this.

  5. As I said, I'm porting from a legacy DOS application that works.  If
     I could build and run a viable radeon driver (*anybody's* Radeon
     driver), I could conceivably patch the driver myself (despite the
     fact that I know nothing about Xorg device drivers at this point - I'm
     definitely interested in learning!)

  6. I've also been through Eric S. Raymond's excellent "video timings
     HOWTO", but I confess I still haven't figured out how to successfully
     define my own parameters.

  7. All things being equal, my next step is to revisit what went wrong
     with my last attempts to build Xorg 6.8.99.15.

Thank you again for your reponse .. PSM
     own