start of some pci cleanups

Mon Jul 25 12:08:08 PDT 2005

Dave Airlie wrote:
> This is a first patch that cleans up some PCI interfaces, we don't
> have any idea about domains at the normal level of the driver, I think
> we should at least add the idea.
>
> http://people.freedesktop.org/~airlied/change_pci_interface.diff
>
> This just adds pci domain to the pcibusid struct and passes the
> PciBusId struct around instead of passing bus,dev,func triplets.

As noted elsewhere, it breaks binary compatibility, and we're past the
point in the Xorg 6.9/7.0 release cycle where we want to do that unless
absolutely required.   And then once 7.0 is released, breaking it will
become much harder since you'll have to coordinate individual releases
of the Xorg server and all the separate drivers.

Is there any way this could be redone in a binary compatible fashion?
For instance, leave the old functions, but tell everyone they are
deprecated and add new functions with the domain arguments they should
use instead?   The old functions could even simply be wrappers around the
new that call the new ones with a domain of 0 or -1 or something.
(For the ones called from drivers - those internal to the Xorg server
  aren't as important to preserve.)

Also one other point in the patch I'm confused about: Why are you adding
locking.c to Xprint?   Is that a workaround for the Xrm.c issues there
that snuck into this patch accidentally?

	-Alan Coopersmith-           alan.coopersmith at sun.com