G550 Dual-head questions

Daniil V. Kolpakov dan at solutions.lv
Sat Jul 23 14:23:09 PDT 2005

Hello developers,

I've bought a Matrox G550 recently, and a second monitor, too. Now I'm having
some dualhead.

But, uh, dualhead is not fun without DRI, and xv is working on the first head
only. I've googled alot and I've read pretty anything related to the dualhead
on Matrox. :) I know I could download a binary driver from Matrox to enable
MergedFB mode, but that's too scary.

Basically, I've one question, which I would like to adress to the current mga
driver maintainer and other driver developers:

  What's the problem in implementing MergedFB mode without MGA_HAL?

Currently I have the following setup:
 - Matrox G550 (plain dualhead, not the Dual-DVI one)
 - one CRT monitor (MAG 570FD, 1024x768 FD Trinitron)
 - one analog LCD monitor (Samsung SyncMaster 152x, 1024x768)

My thoughts:

 1) G550 has videomodes like 2048x768;
 2) It's possible to setup the 1024x768 mode with virtual size
    of 2048x768 in the clone mode; DRI&xv works
 3) mga driver can do dual-head, so I guess it could program both heads
    to use the same framebuffer, with different viewports?

I'm not C programmed and I've never tried to hack XFree86 or XOrg before I've
got this G550, but I'm so curious now that I've downloaded sources (I had to
use Mandrake SRPMS since the XOrg release doesn't compile with GCC4) and
started to make stuppid changes here and there; after messing with
pMga->Restore I've eventially got something like a 1024x384 (actually
1024x768 interlaced with garbage ;)) on the first monitor, showing the upper
top of the 2048x768 framebuffer, and a 1024x768 on the second screen showing
the mouse-controllable viewport, just like in the plain clone/singlehead
mode. Later I've realised that it was not garbage on the first head
- it was the wrong virtual size, and the every second line actually was the
first line prolonged.

So far, I understand very little in the sources, but I would like to hear
something from the mga driver developers, and maybe from the radeon driver
developers as well, since radeon driver has MergedFB working.

Thanks for reading,

--Daniil

--
/dev/brains: permission denied