ATI Fire GL V3100 and Dual display

W Bauske wsb at paralleldata.com
Thu Jul 21 22:23:50 PDT 2005

Hello Alex,

I reconfigured my setup for the xorg.conf file using MergedFB. It now looks like this:

Section "ServerLayout"
         Identifier     "Multihead layout"
         Screen      0  "mergedscreen" 0 0
         InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
         Option      "Clone" "off"
EndSection

Section "Files"

         RgbPath      "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/rgb"
         FontPath     "unix/:7100"
EndSection

Section "Module"
         Load  "dbe"
         Load  "extmod"
         Load  "fbdevhw"
         Load  "glx"
         Load  "record"
         Load  "freetype"
         Load  "type1"
         Load  "dri"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
         Identifier  "Keyboard0"
         Driver      "kbd"
         Option      "XkbModel" "pc105"
         Option      "XkbLayout" "us"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
         Identifier  "Mouse0"
         Driver      "mouse"
         Option      "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
         Option      "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
         Option      "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
         Option      "Emulate3Buttons" "yes"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
         Identifier   "Monitor0"
         VendorName   "Monitor Vendor"
         ModelName    "LCD Panel 1280x1024"
         HorizSync    31.5 - 67.0
         VertRefresh  50.0 - 75.0
         Option      "dpms"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
         Identifier   "Monitor1"
         VendorName   "Monitor Vendor"
         ModelName    "LCD Panel 1280x1024"
         HorizSync    31.5 - 67.0
         VertRefresh  50.0 - 75.0
         Option      "dpms"
EndSection

Section "Device"
         Identifier  "Videocard0"
         Driver      "radeon"
         VendorName  "Videocard vendor"
         BoardName   "ATI FireGL V3100"
         BusID       "PCI:1:0:0"
         Option      "MergedFB" "true"
         Option      "CRT2HSync" "30-67"
         Option      "CRT2VRefresh" "50-75"
         Option      "CRT2Position" "LeftOf"
         Option      "MetaModes" "1280x1024-1280x1024 1024x768-1024x768"
#       Option      "MonitorLayout" "LCD,DVI"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
         Identifier "mergedscreen"
         Device     "Videocard0"
         Monitor    "Monitor0"
         DefaultDepth     24
         SubSection "Display"
                 Viewport   0 0
                 Depth     24
                 Modes    "1280x1024" "1024x768"
                 Virtual  2560 1024
         EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "DRI"
         Group        0
         Mode         0666
EndSection

The Xorg.0.log file is an attachment.

After looking at the log closely, I realized that the radeon driver is switching around
what is the primary vs secondary "port". The Sceptre monitor is really the primary
display that the BIOS initializes and the Linux console runs on. The EN7100e is on the
DVI->VGA adapter and is not initialized at boot. So, this appears to be the problem.
How to tell the driver to swap them around?

Any help appreciated.

Wes