xorg-x11 6.8.9.14 (Gentoo) on Radeon M9000 (Was: Personal xorg-x11 6.8.99.14 rpm packages now available for Fedora Core 4 users)

Marek W marekw1977 at yahoo.com.au
Wed Jul 20 16:57:03 PDT 2005

On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 01:02, Chris Kurecka wrote:
> On 7/16/05, Peter Zubaj <pzad at pobox.sk> wrote:
> > I had same problem. I found this (not tested) maybe this is what you
> > want too.
> >
> > ftp://people.redhat.com/mharris/testing/unstable/xorg-x11/6.8.99.14-3/
> >
> > Peter Zubaj
>
> I tried the FC4 RPMs out, and have been using them for a couple days
> now.  Though I needed to get a newer version of glibc from Rawhide,
> they seem to be working quite nicely.  It is noticably more responsive
> on my P4 2.4GHz, 512MB RAM, ATI AIW Radeon 9000 Pro 64MB machine.  My
> only issue thus far in KDE is that turning on shadows with kompmgr is
> much faster than before at first, but after a while seemed to slow
> down to previous levels or slower.  Restarting X fixes that; for the
> time being I just set them back off.

I have posted about this problem before regarding an earlier version of
6.8.99.x. It's intriguing to see that 6.8.99.14 works on a different (but I
assume relatively similar) flavour of the Radeon card.

I have tried 6.8.99.14 just a few days ago (Gentoo distribution) on my laptop.
It's a Toshiba Tecra S1 with the ATI Radeon Mobility 9000 chipset. I'm using
KDE as the desktop and KDM as the login manager. I was unable to login, as
the only widgets displayed were the login text boxes and the screen
background. Last time I upgraded to 6.8.99.x, I could login, but similarly
many widgets were missing. Seems that with each new release of X I'm loosing
more widgets...

Are there any options in my xorg.conf files I should switch on/off or is the
support for this particular card broken?

Here are my settings for the Radeon:

Section "Device"

    Identifier  "ATI Radeon Mobility 9000"

    Driver      "radeon"
    Option      "DPMS"
    Option      "AGPMode"               "4"
    Option      "CloneMode"             "1024X768"
    Option      "RenderAccel"           "True"
    Option      "EnablePageFlip"        "True"
    Option      "backingstore"          "True"
    Option      "DynamicClocks"         "True"
    Option      "BIOSHotKeys"           "False"
# - Below - options to make 3D acceleration work on Tecra S1
    Option      "AGPFastWrite"          "False"
    Option      "MergedFB"              "False"
    Option      "UseFBDev"              "False"
    Option      "ColorTiling"           "False"

EndSection

--

Marek W