start of some pci cleanups

Benjamin Herrenschmidt benh at kernel.crashing.org
Tue Jul 19 11:24:11 PDT 2005

On Tue, 2005-07-19 at 08:57 -0700, Andy Ritger wrote:
> When modifying existing structures and functions, please be conscious
> of binary compatibility.

In that case, there is no real choice I'm afraid, that stuff need to be
cleaned up...

It might be possible to get a first patch in that only removes the use
of the direct IO port access for PCI config on x86 and uses /proc
instead as it does on other architectures. That would be a big step
forward already without breaking backward compatibility. But we need to
get the PCI & VGA IO stuff cleaned up as well and that will
unfortunately cause some breakage.

Ben.