Terrible performance with backing-store enabled.

Eric Anholt eta at lclark.edu
Mon Jul 18 02:26:30 PDT 2005

On Mon, 2005-07-18 at 11:11 +0200, Clemens Eisserer wrote:
> Hello again!
>
> I have a NVidia GF5200 and to get a bit better performance I enabled
> "backing-store" and "save-unders" since I have 128mb graphic-card
> memory which would be unused otherwise ;-)
>
> However performance decreases, if I move windows arround they move
> really slow or if I open new windows (menus) performance is also
> really bad.
> Is this an xorg-problem or is this problem more likely caused by the
> NVidia driver - since its caused by the nvidia-driver I would send
> them a bug-report.

This is because backing-store is implemented in a very nasty (but card
memory efficient) way.  Using xcompmgr -a will give you what you want,
most likely, but with much better performance.  It would be nice to
implement these features on top of the Composite extension, I think.

Eric Anholt                                     eta at lclark.edu
http://people.freebsd.org/~anholt/              anholt at FreeBSD.org