Best ways to analyze application performance?

Clemens Eisserer linuxhippy at gmail.com
Sun Jul 17 11:42:10 PDT 2005

Hello,

I would describe myself as a ui-performance fanatism and x11 newbie
but everybody needs to get started with something sometimes ;-)

I am very interrested in helping some some open source UI toolkits and
applications in tuning their interfaces  - however I come from the
java-world where a profiler (thanks to the vm) was everything needed
to see the problematic areas of an application.

Do special tools exist for measuring performance of x11 based
applications? If not, which profiler would you recommend for tuning
x11 based applications?
I would be also interrested in reading some artciles/tutorials about
X11 performance in general (tipps, tricks and theorie) does anybody
know such tutorials or articles? (not targeted to x11 purists ;-) )

Thank you in advance, lg Clemens