Stopping DNS requests

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Sun Jul 17 03:42:57 PDT 2005

paul rogers wrote:

> It seems my recently installed Xorg-6.8.2 is sending out a DNS lookup
> every time startx runs. (It doesn't happen when I run
> /usr/X11R6/bin/Xorg standalone, and XFree-4.2.1 doesn't do it.) That
> triggers my gateway/router to dial-out and nothing happens until a
> connection is made, or the request times-out if the gateway/router is
> turned off. This is a workstation, no other hosts should need to use
> this Xserver. A couple of us have looked at my usual network config
> files and we don't see any obvious suspects. Can somebody tell me
> what's going on, and where/how to stop it?

What clients does your Xsession script run? Try disabling some of
them.

Can you obtain your FQDN (e.g. with "hostname -f") without needing a
DNS query? Some systems insist on performing an IPv6 lookup; you may
need to add an IPv6 entry to /etc/hosts.

Use tcpdump to display DNS requests, to identify exactly which domain
is being resolved.