PCI/BIOS/int10 handling in X.org

Jon Smirl jonsmirl at gmail.com
Fri Jul 15 09:55:56 PDT 2005

On the x86 the kernel is recording the boot device for you and it
supports shadow ROMs. There may need to be a parallel implementation
for other archs.

There is also a kernel API for accessing the video ROM that knows
about the rom being shadowed, see drivers/pci/rom.c. This API is used
by the radeonfb driver, all fbdev drivers should be converted to it if
they are going to access the ROM.

BenH is working on a very low level system that will reset all of the
secondary video cards as part of the boot process. This is complex
since the VROM often use the VGA ports. The PC architecture only
allows a single active VGA device so this has to be managed by
changing bus routing and enabling/disabling other cards.

/*
  * Fixup to mark boot BIOS video selected by BIOS before it changes
 *
  * From information provided by "Jon Smirl" <jonsmirl at gmail.com>
 *
 * The standard boot ROM sequence for an x86 machine uses the BIOS
 * to select an initial video card for boot display. This boot video
 * card will have it's BIOS copied to C0000 in system RAM.
 * IORESOURCE_ROM_SHADOW is used to associate the boot video
 * card with this copy. On laptops this copy has to be used since
 * the main ROM may be compressed or combined with another image.
 * See pci_map_rom() for use of this flag. IORESOURCE_ROM_SHADOW
 * is marked here since the boot video device will be the only enabled
 * video device at this point.
 */

static void __devinit pci_fixup_video(struct pci_dev *pdev)
{
	struct pci_dev *bridge;
	struct pci_bus *bus;
	u16 config;

	if ((pdev->class >> 8) != PCI_CLASS_DISPLAY_VGA)
		return;

	/* Is VGA routed to us? */
	bus = pdev->bus;
	while (bus) {
		bridge = bus->self;
		if (bridge) {
			pci_read_config_word(bridge, PCI_BRIDGE_CONTROL,
						&config);
			if (!(config & PCI_BRIDGE_CTL_VGA))
				return;
		}
		bus = bus->parent;
	}
	pci_read_config_word(pdev, PCI_COMMAND, &config);
	if (config & (PCI_COMMAND_IO | PCI_COMMAND_MEMORY)) {
		pdev->resource[PCI_ROM_RESOURCE].flags |= IORESOURCE_ROM_SHADOW;
		printk(KERN_DEBUG "Boot video device is %s\n", pci_name(pdev));
	}
}
DECLARE_PCI_FIXUP_HEADER(PCI_ANY_ID, PCI_ANY_ID, pci_fixup_video);

--
Jon Smirl
jonsmirl at gmail.com