New acceleration architecture

Michel Dänzer michel at daenzer.net
Mon Jul 4 12:46:03 PDT 2005

On Fri, 2005-07-01 at 09:03 +0200, Zack Rusin wrote:
> On Tuesday 28 June 2005 06:22, Michel Dänzer wrote:
> > Have you considered handling memory allocation via driver callbacks?
>
> No, I haven't actually and this is an excellent point. Thanks for bringing it
> up.
>
> > That might allow more efficient allocation than with a generic allocator
> > using the parameters above and (e.g. in the case of IHVs) to hook into
> > an existing cross-component allocator. The current generic allocator
> > could still be offered in the form of helper functions for drivers that
> > don't need the advanced functionality.
>
> Yeah. I'll play with this during the weekend. Do you have a preference
> towards the api?

Not a detailed one, but basically, the functionality of
exaOffscreenAlloc() (plus determining the alignment, pitch, etc. needed
for a given pixmap) and exaOffscreenFree() should be moved to driver
callbacks. Also, a way for the driver to ask exa to move pixmaps out of
offscreen memory would be nice, but I'm not sure what kind of API would
be appropriate for that - some way to specify how much space is needed,
move all pixmaps controlled by exa out and let them migrate back in
later as needed, ... ?