Feature freeze reminder -- 4 July 2005

Kevin E Martin kem at freedesktop.org
Fri Jul 1 17:28:19 PDT 2005

This is a reminder that the feature freeze for the monolithic source
tree is Monday, 4 July 2005.  If you have new features that you would
like to get into the release, please check in your code on or before the
deadline.  After the deadline, you will need to ask permission from the
release managers to add new features.

After the feature freeze and as outlined in the schedule (quoted below),
we would like to concentrate on fixing bugs in the monolithic tree in
preparation for the initial release candidate.  This includes working
through the bugs currently listed in bugzilla, testing the code in CVS
HEAD, filing/fixing new bugs for problems found, etc.

We will follow-up with more suggestions on how to test next week.

On Fri, Jun 17, 2005 at 10:33:33PM -0400, Kevin E Martin wrote:
> Here is an updated release schedule with annotations for tasks that
> should be worked on and/or completed by the dates listed:
>
>    4 Jul 2005: Feature freeze for the monolithic source tree
>                - Check into the monolithic tree all features that are to
>                  be included in the 6.9 release
>                - Set up test procedure for the release
>                - Continue development on the modular tree build system
>                  as described above
>
>   15 Jul 2005: RC0
>                - Test monolithic tree and fix bugs in preparation for
>                  initial release candidate
>                - Have regular builds of monolithic tree via Tinderbox
>                  going for as many supported platforms as possible
>                - Continue development on/debugging of the modular tree
>                  build system as described above
>
>   19 Aug 2005: RC1
>                - Fix build/run problems in modular tree for as many
>                  platforms as possible
>                - Add regular builds of modular tree via Tinderbox
>                - Test both modular and monolithic trees
>                - Fix all bugs that are found (no restrictions)
>
>    9 Sep 2005: RC2
>                - Continue testing and fixing bugs
>                - Start limiting the bugs to the more critical bug fixes
>                - Begin preparing the release documentation
>
>   23 Sep 2005: RCfinal
>                - Critical bug fixes only
>                - Begin working on press releases (PR text, quotes, etc.)
>                - Finalize documentation
>
>   30 Sep 2005: X11R6.9/X11R7 Release
>                - Critical documentation updates only
>                - Preparation for release (tagging, creating tarballs,
>                  getting mirror sites set up, finalizing release etc.)

Note that the cut off we will use for each deadline is 23:59 Hawaiian
time (UTC-10).

Alan Coopersmith
Adam Jackson
Kevin E. Martin