cirrus_laguna.o vs cirrus_laguna_drv.o (was: Re: User problems with the DLLoader)

Daniel Stone daniel at fooishbar.org
Fri Jan 28 08:08:39 PST 2005

On Fri, Jan 28, 2005 at 01:06:27PM +0100, Egbert Eich wrote:
> Generally, for PCI cards - and today there is hardly anything else -
> we may be able to create a fully generic driver loading module that
> would be able to load any driver that is required. Then we don't
> have to deal with these individual driver wrappers any more.

The goal here would seem to be portability, but you would then need to unify all
the options between all the drivers, unless you just want to make things *more*
confusing; get a Radeon with a MergedFB configuration, swap it out for a GeForce
or something and watch your current setup break, and scratch your head and
wonder why, because we aren't actually meant to reference drivers directly
anymore, and what driver am I actually using now -- where do I go to find out
which configuration options I *can* use? :)

Worthwhile goal, though.