XDamage extension over-reports window damage

Owen Taylor otaylor at redhat.com
Thu Jan 27 16:34:45 PST 2005

On Thu, 2005-01-27 at 15:57 -0500, Jonathan Lennox wrote:

> (On a related note, I'd love to be able as a client to retrieve and track
> changes to the window visible region, so I know for what parts of the window
> XGetImage is meaningful.  I can semi-track things with XVisibilityEvent and
> XExposureEvent, but that doesn't suffice for the visibility region
> shrinking.  The former part seems like a natural fit for Xfixes?)

I discussed this quite a bit with Keith at one point, and the idea we
came up with was a "Cover" event that pairs with "Expose" ... once you
get a Cover event for a region, you can avoid repainting it until you
get an expose for that same region.

Any impetus for action here is decreased by the move to  Composite that
is under way. Once we are keeping full contents for all toplevel
windows, they will never be covered, so tracking that isn't very
interesting.

Still, if someone wanted to work on it, it doesn't seem like an
unreasonable addition to FIXES.

Regards,
						Owen