User problems with the DLLoader

Felix Kühling fxkuehl at gmx.de
Wed Jan 26 13:48:53 PST 2005

Hi,

I'm getting quite many more or less mysterious problem reports recently
due to the change to the DLLoader as default loader. I'm not arguing
against that change. But it is problematic that you get erratic behavior
if you install new .so modules next to old .o modules because the server
loads some new and some old modules which are mutually incompatible or
outdated.

I see different ways to improve the situation for users and those
answering user questions.

     A. Deterministically prefer .so modules over .o modules when both
        are available. (this is my favourite)
     B. Modify the install target to remove old .o modules when new .so
        ones are installed.
     C. Warn users when make install finds .o modules that should be
        removed. It should be a big red warning sign that is hard to
        miss.

I have no idea how hard either of these would be to implement, but I
think the current situation is bad enough to make it worth the effort.

Thanks,
  Felix

--
| Felix Kühling <fxkuehl at gmx.de>                     http://fxk.de.vu |
| PGP Fingerprint: 6A3C 9566 5B30 DDED 73C3  B152 151C 5CC1 D888 E595 |