Disable xterm and XRX builds per default / [Fwd: CVS Update: xc (branch: trunk)]

Daniel Stone daniel at fooishbar.org
Mon Jan 24 09:57:31 PST 2005

On Mon, Jan 24, 2005 at 09:48:10AM -0800, Keith Packard wrote:
> What I would like to encourage is for some of the public distributions
> (like the BSDs, Debian, Gentoo, Fedora, etc) to use X.org CVS to maintain
> their build mechansism for the X.org related packages.  I think that would
> improve the quality of those packages while making it clear what parts of
> the build are 'standard' X.org and what parts are 'added value'.

Mmm, I don't like this, if only for one reason: my packages are my packages.  If
I see 6.8.1-1ubuntu11 there, I know exactly which source they came from, can
easily find out the build environment they were built on, and can grab the
canonical binaries.  Likewise any Debian release -- it corresponds to a specific
version.

Now, if the user compiles their own stuff, that's great, but I strongly dislike
the ability to do it under the guise of packaging, which screws up the entire
mechanism for users and developers alike.  I believe that if you're compiling
and installing stuff, do just that.  Just don't pretend you're a distribution
packager.

I can certainly see usefulness in having all the distributions maintain all
their patches somewhere public (I have to take at least some responsibility for
hoarding patches here; however, I'm slowly clearing out everything I have), but
certainly not the packaging structure.  That crosses the line between upstream
and distribution stuff.  We maintain upstream stuff upstream, and distributions
maintain distribution-specific stuff within their distribution.  This is what
makes sense to me, and why I dislike maintaining distribution-specific packaging
structures upstream (or: why none of the packages Daniel maintains have debian/
dirs in the upstream source).