Disable xterm and XRX builds per default / [Fwd: CVS Update: xc (branch: trunk)]

Mon Jan 24 09:14:48 PST 2005

If we're just going to go disable by default in the core tree
the sections we don't need in our distributions, then I can go
in and disable DRI & Mesa for everyone?   We don't build those
in our Xorg builds for Solaris, so why should I care what
everyone else needs?

(Yes, I know how stupid it sounds, but that's how the "We don't
build xrx, so I'm disabling it for everyone" sounds to me.)

For the stuff that's coming from upstream, while I would have
preferred to see at least some discussion first, I think at a
minimum it's incomplete until the build docs are updated to
clearly explain what's required, where to get the preferred
upstream source, and how to enable the embedded versions if
that's desired.  At least something to try to prevent the confusion
we've had in the past with upstream version mismatches and
people not being able to compile when their copies of the libraries
aren't installed in the right places.   (Yes, this is one thing
autoconf handles much better than Imake, since it can test and
warn when dependencies aren't found, instead of just making
assumptions and failing in less obvious ways when they're not
met.)

	-Alan Coopersmith-           alan.coopersmith at sun.com