Disable xterm and XRX builds per default / [Fwd: CVS Update: xc (branch: trunk)]

Egbert Eich eich at pdx.freedesktop.org
Mon Jan 24 02:52:34 PST 2005

Roland Mainz writes:
 > Daniel Stone wrote:
 > >
 > > On Mon, Jan 24, 2005 at 07:43:03AM +0100, Roland Mainz wrote:
 > > > Daniel:
 > > > Could you please UNDO this commit ?
 > >
 > > No.
 >
 > DANIEL: AGAIN, UNDO this commit ASAP.
 >
 > > > This change has neither been
 > > > discussed and you are affecing domains which you do not own. Thanks!
 > >
 > > Who owns xterm?  Thomas Dickey?
 > > What about FreeType?  The FreeType project, I dare say.
 >
 > Who decides such changes ? AFAIK the Xorg arch board or the Xorg
 > directory are allowed to make such a drastic change or approve it unless
 > it goes through a bug.

The usual way to do it would be to say "we don't know if anybody still uses
it, some people believe it should be deprecated therefore lets disable it
and see who complains" - that's been the procedure with PEX and XIE.
In the vast majority of cases there is no need to go thru any board.

Here we have people who complain - therefore it would be rude to subbornly
insist on the decision.

Here I agree with Roland that going thru a bugzilla entry would be have
been an appropriate step.
Since Daniel expects cooperations by others - he requested me not to
commit pieces of code that don't have any relationship to each other
together - he should also be cooperative.

 > BTW: I am the XRX maintainer and I doubt all the non-Debian platforms
 > are that happy that you disabled xterm in the default build.

Since there are still consumers of the xrx technology it would be
inappropriate to disable it.
xterm is maintained somewhere else so I understand the decision.
However I think it came at the wrong time.
Furthermore I don't believe that this step would be any more as
we are expected to go modular soon anyway.

 > > In fact, as a distributor, I would say I have more right to config/cf/* than you
 > > do, but there you go.

How come?

Other distributors either add their custom configuration to linux.cf
or supply it their custom configuration in a host.def file.

I personally would prefer to have a per-distributor configuration
file which can easily be included when a certain distro is detected.

Cheers,
	Egbert.