composite on G5

Michel Dänzer michel at daenzer.net
Sat Jan 22 13:22:27 PST 2005

On Sat, 2005-01-22 at 00:33 -0800, Jorge Campos wrote:

> My setup: dual G5, ATI Radeon 9600, Gentoo Linux,
>           Enlightenment E16.7.1 Window Manager
>
> I have installed the latest x.org from CVS as of 1/21/2005, and I have
> configured the xorg.conf file as I'm supposed to, and I've also installed
> xcompmgr and transset from CVS.  But when I do 'xcompmgr -c' all my
> windows turn gray, and the only way I can tell a window's border is
> through its drop shadow (altho I must admit, the drop shadows look pretty
> nice!).
>
> I was wondering if I'm having this problem because of the radeon driver
> (there is no binary driver from ATI for PPC64), or if its because I have
> everything compiled in 64-bit mode (and perhaps the composite bit-wise
> operations are done at 32-bit mode?), or if the nifty composite feature
> simply isn't supported for PPC64 yet.

FWIW, it's working 'fine' (translucent windows are still mostly unusable
due to shortcomings in XAA) for me on a TiBook IV with an M9. I'd
suggest trying:

      * A different window manager
      * Depth 24 if you're running 16 or the other way around
      * Compiling X in 32 bit if that's possible

to narrow down what the problem is.