Virtual SGIs machines?

Peter Bismuti bismuti at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 19 19:35:08 PST 2005

I wondered if there would ever be a virtual machine that emulated SGI
hardware, similar to VMWare.  I don't think there is one, but there is a
product called "Transitive", which I believe uses a transparent virtual
machine to enable old applications that have been compiled on SGI machines
to run on a variety of CPUs/OSes, Linux being the primary OS.  Executables
as old as 10 years old have successfully run, but it may require that OpenGL
was used and not GL.

It is quite pricey, but apparently there is a large demand for it as many
companies are going through the painful job of porting apps to Linux.  It
helps keep old apps available to customers so that they can buy themselves
enough time to port their code, which was said to typically be 12-16 months.