new radeon tiling patch

Alex Deucher alexdeucher at gmail.com
Tue Jan 18 06:53:36 PST 2005

On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 15:43:23 +0100, Roland Scheidegger
<rscheidegger_lists at hispeed.ch> wrote:
> Michel Dänzer wrote:
> >> I've uploaded a new version here:
> >> http://homepage.hispeed.ch/rscheidegger/dri_experimental/radeon_tiling_ddx8.diff
> >> http://homepage.hispeed.ch/rscheidegger/dri_experimental/radeon_tiling_dri8.diff
> >> http://homepage.hispeed.ch/rscheidegger/dri_experimental/radeon_tiling_drm8.diff
> >>

> >> This one should have mergedfb + mixed interlaced/non-interlaced
> >> resolutions fixed (untested), fixed some errors with pageflip in
> >> some resolutions (backbuffer alignment problem),
> >

> > Speaking of mergedfb and page flipping: Is it really necessary to add
> >  a new private SAREA field and a corresponding setparam? Isn't it
> > possible to set the generic SAREA fields as the DRM expects them, to
> >  make this work with older DRMs as well?
> Maybe, but I couldn't figure out a semi-sane way. The problem is those
> values get set in the generic _DRIAdjustFrame in dri.c, which knows
> nothing about mergedfb. It seems rather difficult to fix these values up
> there without extending dri so it knows that there can be two viewports
> looking into the same buffer (i.e. make it mergedfb-aware).
> This solution also automatically gets rid of the need to recalculate the
> offset in the case of color tiling (which isn't really a problem, but
> why does drm have to redo it in the first place?).
> Reports though unfortunately indicate that new sarea field solution
> doesn't work neither for some reason (it works for color tiling, though)
> :-(.

Actually DRIAdjustframe() and friends in dri.c may still be the
problem.  it does some wrapping of the adjustframe() functions and
calls them, perhaps incorrectly for mergedfb.  I could be wrong though
I haven't really traced all that is going on there.  Something is
causing the frames to both end up at 0 when pageflipping.

Alex