Using "Supported additional Video Mode" with i810 driver?

Alex Deucher alexdeucher at gmail.com
Tue Jan 18 06:22:32 PST 2005

On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 07:06:56 -0500, Pete Toscano
<pete-xorg at verisignlabs.com> wrote:
> Egbert Eich wrote:
>
> > What you are seeing here is the mode that is supported by your display
> > (transmitted to the server via DDC) not what is supported by your BIOS.
>
> Then how come Windows on this machine can do 1680x1050?  If it were
> limited by the VBIOS, wouldn't both Windows and Linux be limited?
>
> Thanks,
> pete

It works on windows because the windows drivers know how to program
the hardware directly.  we are stuck with the bios in xorg.  The
reason is two fold if I remember correctly. First, Intel has not
released the necessary programming info and secondly, I've heard that
the i8xx/i9xx chips use a variety of different components from
different vendors to actually display the mode, so without knowing
exactly what vendors use what components in what configurations, the
only alternative is to use the bios since it knows how to program all
those parts.  If the bios doesn't support the mode, you are out of
luck at the moment, although some people have managed to get around it
by replacing bios modes with others.  I think someone already
meantioned the tool.  it's called 855_resfix or somethign like that.

Alex