dlloader is now the default

Adam Jackson ajax at nwnk.net
Sat Jan 15 18:29:18 PST 2005

On Saturday 15 January 2005 18:43, Roland Mainz wrote:
> Adam Jackson wrote:
> > My gut reaction is that moving drivers/ to be more accurately named is a
> > bad idea.
>
> Looking at the module loader code - it searches various paths so adding
> "video/" and "print/" in front of it can't hurt anyone, optionally we
> could make drivers/ a softlink pointing to video/ (then we have 100%
> backwards compatibility to previous releases).

If you make it a symlink, it'll never go away.

> > The current module directory layout matches the source tree layout
> > under hw/xfree86,
>
> If I remember the modularised-Xorg-releases debate correctly that layout
> will only exist for the monolithic tree..

This sounds suspiciously like an endorsement of modularisation. ;)

> > and external applications like driver installers expect
> > drivers/ to be what and where it is.
>
> Right now Xorg trunk has switched the module loader format - why can't
> we change the location, too ?

I changed the _default_ format.  The old format will still work as well as it
ever did.

> > Let's face it, the primary purpose of X
> > is to be a display graphics server.
>
> ... which changed long long ago (initially with X11R6.3) ... :)

No, Xprint was _added_ in R6.3.  It has yet to become the primary purpose for
X's existance.

> > What does unifying the server between display and printing buy for the
> > user?
>
> Less resouce usage and more code sharing (and sharing one unified
> display if you don't need Xinerama (that should be fixed with
> XineramaV2)). And you can load modules on the fly (which would also
> solve the annoying issue that the SVGprint driver is not available as
> (open) source) etc. etc.

Strictly, the "loading modules" point doesn't require a unified server, it
just requires a module loader.  Still, I can buy that argument.

- ajax