dlloader is now the default

Adam Jackson ajax at nwnk.net
Sat Jan 15 15:02:54 PST 2005

On Saturday 15 January 2005 17:24, Roland Mainz wrote:
> Adam Jackson wrote:
> > - 'drivers' for video drivers
>
> Where in the code is that location defined (note: I am completely new to
> that part of the tree) ?

Everything loader-related lives under hw/xfree86/loader.

> > I wasn't aware Xprint was a dynamic DDX.
>
> Xprt isn't but HP/UX has support for loading Xprint modules into their
> main Xserver (there the term "unified Xserver" comes from - it means an
> unified video/print Xserver). At some point our plans are to get rid of
> Xprt (to be more correct: Xprt will still be there for embedding (as
> it's footprint is very low) and for those people who want a print-only
> Xserver) and integrate print support into the "Xorg" server. The patch
> for that is already there but it still needs little bit adjustments to
> allow that both Xorg and Xprt server can be build at the same time.

My gut reaction is that moving drivers/ to be more accurately named is a bad
idea.  The current module directory layout matches the source tree layout
under hw/xfree86, and external applications like driver installers expect
drivers/ to be what and where it is.  Let's face it, the primary purpose of X
is to be a display graphics server.

What does unifying the server between display and printing buy for the user?

- ajax