dlloader is now the default

Adam Jackson ajax at nwnk.net
Fri Jan 14 10:12:37 PST 2005

On Friday 14 January 2005 12:38, Alan Coopersmith wrote:
> Adam Jackson wrote:
> > Consider this clear warning.  IHVs, get ready to ship dlloader modules
> > for the next major release (not 6.8.2).
>
> Old loader modules will still work, just not as well, right?
> (i.e. the old loader is merely deprecated, not disabled - not
> that I'm a big fan of it, and already chose to make dlloader the
> default in our Solaris Xorg builds as soon as we started doing
> them, but it would be good to not break existing binaries)

Correct.  With some caveats.  Unless you're clever you have to use all one
type of module within a single server, they don't mix well.  And the build
system as it stands will only generate one type at a time.  So if you want
old module compatibility, you need to say "MakeDllModules NO" in host.def and
then bludgeon your vendor to give you updated modules.  (Or, someone needs to
hack imake to build and install both types of modules.)

Note that converting elfloader modules to dlloader modules, in most cases, is
as easy as:

gcc -shared -o old_drv.so old_drv.o # for single-object modules
gcc -shared -o libolddriver.so --whole-archive libolddriver.a # for ar modules

With occasionally some extra -l flags for things like libgcc on weird
platforms.

- ajax