radeon_cursor

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Thu Jan 13 09:42:15 PST 2005

Around 16 o'clock on Jan 13, Alan Cox wrote:

> > In a perfect world, the mouse location would be handled by the kernel
> > driver for the card and probably be updated at vrefresh time when the card
> > was in a suitable state.
>
> Why kernel, most modern OS's support real time threads

It just needs to be someplace where appropriate interlocking with other
device access can be done; given a kernel driver for the card aiding
rendering, it seems useful to place the cursor register manipulation
there as well.  I suppose it could be arranged so that user-mode could
know when it was safe to update the cursor registers somehow, that would
work just as well.

-keith