radeon_cursor

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Thu Jan 13 08:16:54 PST 2005

Around 11 o'clock on Jan 13, Thomas Winischhofer wrote:

> Using the HW cursor, I get lockups quite frequently (because the kernel
> device blocks concurrent read/writes). Using the SW cursor works just fine.
>
> My suspiction is that the HW cursor's position setting gets hung in the
> wait queue, producing a "classic" race.

You can disable asynchronous mouse motion for such devices; it's really
only suitable for devices where you can poke the sprite location registers
at any time.

In a perfect world, the mouse location would be handled by the kernel
driver for the card and probably be updated at vrefresh time when the card
was in a suitable state.

-keith