porting from SGIs to Linux?

Wed Jan 12 09:44:58 PST 2005

Roland Mainz wrote:
> Alan Coopersmith wrote:
>
>>Roland Mainz wrote:
>>
>>>Alternatively you may want to look at Solaris/x86 (which ships with the
>>>original Motif2 by default and ViewKit is available, too) where the Xsun
>>>driver PseudoColor emulation support for various drivers, too (m64
>>>(PGX24/PGX64), permedia (Raptor) etc.).
>>
>>Those drivers are only available from Sun for SPARC, not x86.   I don't
>>know which, if any, x86 boards have simultaneuos 8 + 24 support, though
>>I suspect it's the same set as Xorg/XFree86, especially when using the
>>Xorg server (new in Solaris 10) or the Xsun server with XFree86 Porting
>>Kit drivers (included in recent Solaris 9 releases, available as download
>>for older releases).
>

> Uhm... what happened to the native m64 driver in Solaris/x86 ? AFAIK
> that one wasn't going through the Xfree86 porting kit...

Sorry, I meant the driver for the Sun cards (PGX24/64) using the m64 chipset
is not available for x86.   There is of course a driver for generic ATI cards
for Solaris x86, but that's a different source base since it's covering a
different set of hardware, and I don't know if it includes the 8+24 support.

	-Alan Coopersmith-           alan.coopersmith at sun.com