porting from SGIs to Linux?

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Sun Jan 9 19:03:34 PST 2005

Around 20 o'clock on Jan 9, Owen Taylor wrote:

> > So my second question is, I've heard that the new X.org release offers
> > software support for pseudo-colors?
>
> Not that I've heard of. Some of the recent changes would make it
> easier to implement, if someone was interested in doing so, but
> there's not a whole lot of interest in pseudo-color in the X development
> community these days.

Egbert Eich has indeed put together some software simulated pseudo color
support.  Note that this won't be any faster than doing it yourself in the
application though, and may in fact be significantly slower except in the
remote case as it won't be able to perform any application-specific
optimizations of the recoloring process.

I'm not sure which drivers support this new software pseudo color option.

-keith