composite performance

thomas klein thomas.klein at lanterne.org
Fri Jan 7 15:35:43 PST 2005

On Thursday 06 January 2005 12:42, thomas klein wrote:
> I'm running xorg 6.8.1-RC2
> X Window System Version 6.8.1.99
> Release Date: 2 October 2004 + cvs
>
> I'm using composite extension with the last xcompmgr on kde.
>
> I'm on a shuttle with a geforce4mx embeded gfx card, an athlon2200,
> kernel 2.6.10, nvidia driver 6629.
>
> I got Option "RenderAccel" "true".
>
> mode 1280x1024 24bpp.
>
> When I use kwrite / kate / kdevelop in full screen mode, scrolling
> text lags a lot.
>
> If I resize the window to less than 50% of the visible screen, text
> scrolling become usable.
>
> One very weird stuff is :
>
> resize => text scrolling become usable
> switch to a desktop with an open window then back => same scroll
> speed switch to an empty desktop then back => scroll speed > 2x
> (very usable).
>
> It's hard to explain but reproducable
>
> Is this normal (due to the actual state of composite extension) or
> does I got some configuration issue ?
>
> thanks in advance,
>
> t.

for information,

I got an geforce4mx, I change the amount of video ram in my bios (it's
shared video memory from the main ram). I change the value from 32 to
64Mo and now composite is fast in any situation (full screen or not).

1280x1024 24bpp

regards,

thomas.
--
GPG Fingerprint : 5BFE 1853 0D15 4570 EFA6 0686 7A9A 00B3 E59B C412