debugging help for Matrox crash

Lin Tse Hsu evfreek at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 5 10:45:50 PST 2005

Hi.  I have Xorg 6.8.0 installed with Fedora Core 3.
I also tried 6.8.1 with similar results.  I experience
random instability with my Matrox Millennium II video
card.  Is there a HOWTO on debugging this issue?  I
take it that one has to insert printf statements to
the log file at strategic locations to bracket the
crash.  The crash is the typical Linux BSOD: cursor
disappears or freezes, and a power cycle is required
to restart.  Interestingly enough, a reset button
press often does not work, presumably since the video
card itself is crashed.  Are there any suggestions
anywhere on how to enable a debug mode or correctly
place print statements to catch the location of the
crash?

Thanks in advance!