gatos & xorg

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Mon Jan 3 20:03:01 PST 2005

On Monday 03 January 2005 19:44, Vladimir Dergachev wrote:
>>> almost all ati chips.  proper tv-out support would require
>>> programming the various tv-regs directly.
>>>
>>> Alex
>>
>> In other words, I shouldn't hold my breath. The current 6.8.1
>> apparently takes a look for a 2nd screen, but doesn't find an
>> attached monitor so it politely goes away during the startx.
>
>Hi Gene, have you tried X.org CVS HEAD ?

Nah.  I figure when 6.8.2's rc cycle starts, I might try that.
Makeing an X install from scratch seems to take quite a while, or did
when I built 6.8.1 anyway.

>I had a problem getting my notebook to find the second screen as
> well, which turned out to be due to a bug in the "magic" code that
> looked at monitor parameters. I fixed it a while ago.. (2004-10-17)
>
>If anyone is curious the problem was that the code assumed that
>certain conditions implied the that CRTC units were switched and
> checked for that by looking for primary CRTC constant in some BIOS
> table. On my Dell the constant was set for both primary and
> secondary, go figure.
>
>The fix was in making sure the constant is set for the secondary but
> not for primary - a tautology if BIOS writers did not make bugs.
>
>                       best
>
>                          Vladimir Dergachev

Bios writers, someplace I'd rather not go else this discussion may
degenerate rapidly.  TYAN in particular isn't the least interested in
reports of buggy usb stuff I've found.

--
Cheers Valdimir, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)