gatos & xorg

Miguel Angel Alvarez maacruz at navegalia.com
Mon Jan 3 10:12:24 PST 2005

El Domingo, 2 de Enero de 2005 21:00, xorg-request at lists.freedesktop.org
escribió:
> Date: Sat, 1 Jan 2005 18:35:34 -0500
> From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett at verizon.net>
> Subject: Re: gatos & xorg
> To: xorg at lists.freedesktop.org
>
> On Saturday 01 January 2005 16:42, Jeremy Wilkins wrote:
> >I'm trying to get the tvout going on a radeon 9200se, and the 4.3.0
> >gatos drivers don't recognise my card. Presumably if the gatos
> >functionality has made it into xorg then that should support a
> > 9200se.

> I've got one of those cards but am not fam with gatos at all.  As far
> as the card is concerned xorg-6.8.1 calls it an rv280 chipset,  Dead
> stable, but also maddeningly slow, no drm or some such twaddle.

Hi all,
To get the tv-out working you can use the vesa driver instead of radeon
driver. You'll have no acceleration, but works well with most standard
resolutions and color depths.
I use it to see movies on tv. To avoid changing the config file back and forth
and restarting X what I do is start another X session on a different virtual
terminal using a different config file (X --xf86config XF86Config.vesa)
Using the ATI propietary driver may do the trick too, but this is a bad path
to follow (to get overlays on TV you must start X without monitor so TV is
primary, only 24 bits, only x86, lockups....)

Gene, DRI on 9200se works nicely (I get 1400 fps with glxgears on 16 bit
color), but you may have issues with the xorg DRM module. Simply use the
radeon module from the linux kernel and it will work.

By the way, as of xorg 6.8.0/1 there seems to be a regression on the radeon
driver that breaks the vesa driver (I still couldn't test 6.8.2rc). After
exiting the first X session using radeon, you'll be not able to start X using
vesa anymore until the machine is rebooted. This didn't happened with xorg
6.7.0.
I filed a bug in bugzilla under Driver/Radeon (bug 1345) long ago, but nobody
seems to have noticed. Hope it has been fixed (could somebody check if it is
still there on 6.8.2?)

Sorry if this breaks mail threads, I'm replying to the xorg Digest...

Best regards, and happy new year,
Miguel Angel

--
Don't see the world through a window, be open{source}minded, and be free :-)