Apple M9179LL/A 30" Widescreen LCD with rv280

Morten Sylvest Olsen mso at medical-insight.com
Sat Feb 26 09:14:31 PST 2005

Esben Stien wrote:

>> Any way to find out this?. The manual don't mention it.

>> I wonder what happends when I bring an x86/rv280 down to the store
>> and plug the lcd into it. I've read reports that the monitor is able
>> to do 1280x800 with a single link dvi. I sure would like it to do
>> 1920x1200 which is the maximum of the radeon 9250.
>

> Refresh rates below 60Hz are usually undocumented and a unofficial
> feature. However, if it won't do even other resolutions like 1920x1200
> which should just work fine at 60Hz with single link, this is probably
> a good indication the input logic is fairly stupid and limited, and the
> chances are not good. There is no other way to know than to try (or find
> someone who has tried it instead...). Maybe there's a modeline
> generator somewhere to help you (I've seen generators for CRT's which
> are not a good choice for that).

Funny how problems always comes in twos :) I have more or less the same problem wrt. to my 1536x2048 monitor. I found that it is possible to download a spreadsheet from VESA which calculates using the CVT standard instead of the old GTF formula. You can
find it at: http://www.vesa.org/Public/CVT/CVTd6r1.xls (you can read it using OpenOffice)

It doesn't generate modelines directly, but you can derive them from the values of sync, backporch and frontporch (or type them into
http://www.hut.fi/Misc/Electronics/faq/vga2rgb/calc.html).

One thing I did notice was that it seems reduced blanking modes are supposed to be signified with +hsync -vsync, and I am
not sure for my monitor that X does the correct thing with the mode obtained from the EDID data from the monitor.

Mvh Morten