Apple M9179LL/A 30" Widescreen LCD with rv280

Roland Scheidegger rscheidegger_lists at hispeed.ch
Fri Feb 25 19:02:18 PST 2005

Esben Stien wrote:
> Roland Scheidegger <rscheidegger_lists at hispeed.ch> writes:
>

>> [..] if it accepts vertical refresh rates below 60Hz.
>

> Any way to find out this?. The manual don't mention it.
>

>> Single-link dvi should give you about 35Hz or so, the monitor might
>>  refuse to sync to it though.
>

> I wonder what happends when I bring an x86/rv280 down to the store
> and plug the lcd into it. I've read reports that the monitor is able
> to do 1280x800 with a single link dvi. I sure would like it to do
> 1920x1200 which is the maximum of the radeon 9250.
Refresh rates below 60Hz are usually undocumented and a unofficial
feature. However, if it won't do even other resolutions like 1920x1200
which should just work fine at 60Hz with single link, this is probably
a good indication the input logic is fairly stupid and limited, and the
chances are not good. There is no other way to know than to try (or find
someone who has tried it instead...). Maybe there's a modeline
generator somewhere to help you (I've seen generators for CRT's which
are not a good choice for that).

>> Also note you will get trouble with 3d, since the radeon driver can
>>  only handle 2048x2048 resolution.
>

> Wow, this I didn't know; it should be noted on the wiki. I absolutely
>  need to run 3d. You mean the radeon dri driver won't support
> widescreen modes?. How will this appear though?. Will I get black
> borders or will it not display at all?. Does the radeon framebuffer
> device have such a problem too?. I wonder how the bios would
> initialize this card when I power up the computer.
>
> I guess the framebuffer don't have this limitation as I've seen linux
>  boot parameters like video=radeon:1920x1200
>

>> This is basically a hardware limitation, though a clever driver
>> could potentially work around that.
No, that's not what I meant. 2048 in either direction is the absolute
limit, anything below in either direction works just fine. You'd only
have a problem if you could get it to work in native mode, even
something like 2048x16 should work fine in theory ;-) (though better
make that 2047x16, last time I checked there still was a problem with
that last pixel)

Roland