Hal and Xorg output devices

Ely Levy elylevy-xserver at cs.huji.ac.il
Thu Feb 24 18:31:32 PST 2005

I would like to propose the following design:
Move the card memory allocation into xlibpci
Move the rest of the pci probing into hal while making hal use
libpci to get the info (since libpci is gpl we can't call it directly from
X).
Move rest of screen info into hal write a libddc lib and let hal use it
for getting the information.

X should export a dbus api and should be able to call functions like
array{InputDevices} ProbeForInputDevices()
array{VideoCard} ProbeForVideoCards()
array{Monitors} ProbeForMonitors(VideoCard card)
(taken from davidz suggestion).

This stracture should enable easy adding/removing of screens.

Ely Levy
System group
Hebrew University
Jerusalem Israel