Hal and Xorg output devices

Ely Levy elylevy-xserver at cs.huji.ac.il
Wed Feb 23 09:54:16 PST 2005

> On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 19:14:13 +0200 (IST), Ely Levy
> <elylevy-xserver at cs.huji.ac.il> wrote:
> > After getting a bit more info I think I can make my email clearer,
> > I think that a big step in hardware handling in Xorg can be done by
> > moving output devices into hal instead of xorg.conf.
> > I see the following isues
>
> Do we want to do this for the current X server? Or would it be better
> to spend the effort on the new fbdev/DRM XGL base layer? In the
> fbdev/DRM model mode setting and monitor config is managed at a much
> lower level.

I was wondering about that as well, I guess it depends if we are going
to completly move to xgl or just give it as another option.
What do you mean by lower level?in kernel space?I don't think that would
be wise especialy if we want to have long exeption list.
does it have to happen in lower level?Maybe it should be like hotplug
or udev?

Ely