Hal and Xorg output devices

Ely Levy elylevy-xserver at cs.huji.ac.il
Wed Feb 23 09:14:13 PST 2005

After getting a bit more info I think I can make my email clearer,
I think that a big step in hardware handling in Xorg can be done by
moving output devices into hal instead of xorg.conf.
I see the following isues

1)X would decide which driver to load based on the info it gets from hal
2)Hal should be the one handling dcc and edid information, added to this
it should also have a list of bad cards/screen that provid bad information
and to send the correct information instead.
3)X should be able to get all resolutions the card/screen can do as to
decide on the buffer size letter the user to freely chose his resolution.

4)Can hal know which screen is connected to which card?

I don't know hal that well but I think it would require to add a screen
namepspace and I guess the screen card would get its info from the pci
namespace.

Known problems:
Can xinerama be handled by hal or move to per user?

Ely Levy
System group
Hebrew University
Jerusalem Israel