"Building your own FreeType library is can be harmful"

Peter Åstrand astrand at cendio.se
Tue Feb 22 02:46:51 PST 2005

I'm building the latest xorg from CVS with:

#define HasFreetype2 NO

When compiling, I get lot's of:

#warning Building your own FreeType library is deprecated and can be harmful.
#warning If your distribution supplies a FreeType library, you are urged to
#warning consider using it instead.

Can anyone explain to me why this is bad and "harmful"? I'm building a
Xserver (Xvnc) binary that should work on multiple distributions, so I
cannot rely on the distribution providing a certain Freetype version.

--
Peter Åstrand		Chief Developer
Cendio			www.thinlinc.com