Solo Xgl..

David Reveman davidr at novell.com
Sun Feb 20 14:42:07 PST 2005

On Sun, 2005-02-20 at 11:12 +0000, Dave Airlie wrote:
> Hi,
> 	Well I spent the day hacking and managed to get Xgl running on top
> of Mesa solo, the solo stuff I've checked into Mesa,

Great!

> The glitz backend for miniglx and the Xserver miniglx stuff are up at
> http://www.skynet.ie/~airlied/patches/xminiglx/
>
> There is no input hooked up to it yet.. a Linux /dev/input hook mightn't
> be that hard to do, I wonder though whether trying to work with the
> kdrive stuff that is already there might be a better option, I see keithp
> committed some event device stuff recently.
>
> I'm not sure when I'll get a chance to do anything else on it... I'm sure
> the miniglx backend could be cleaned up a bit.. (i.e. I hacked a lot of it
> out as miniglx doesn't support it ..)
>
> Dave.

This is a good start. However, what I really like to see is a plain
fb/mesa-solo backend in glitz, but I understand that this is a lot more
work. If we're going to use miniglx for now I'd much rather see the glx
backend be modified to work with miniglx as well as glx instead of a
separate miniglx backend. A #ifdef USE_MINIGLX in glitz-glx.h would be
OK. What else in the glx backend needs to be modified to make this work?

For Xgl, I guess a 'Xminiglx' server is useful until we get this stuff
running directly on top of fb/mesa-solo. The sub-directory for this
server should probably be 'miniglx'. For a future mesa-solo only server,
I'd like a 'solo' sub-directory and a 'Xgl' executable. What do people
think about this?

-David